[Box Backup] Backup Mac OS X to Freebsd

Stuart Robertson stuart at itbites.net
Tue Oct 18 14:46:34 BST 2011

I would be grateful for a little help from list members with
installing and using Boxbackup. I would like to backup three mac
laptops to a freebsd server. I'm a home user with patience and some
skills but little experience. My home server runs a zfs pool to which
I'd like to backup.

I have installed the port on the server and client and server on one
of the laptops (intel, os 10.7.1). When following the installation
notes I see that they say that "The generated installation scripts
assumes you want everything installed in /usr/local/bin" but on both
OS  X and Freebsd the default installation seems to be
"/usr/local/sbin". Is this difference going to cause problems?

My first questions are to do with configuring the server. How do I
test my installation if I have installed with the Freebsd port? Is it
necessary to test the installation?

I did test the client and have the full response saved. The final lines were

common: FAILED: 1 tests failed (first at testcommon.cpp:424)
crypto: PASSED
compress: PASSED
raidfile: PASSED
basicserver: FAILED: 1 tests failed (first at :0)
backupstore: FAILED: 1 tests failed (first at :0)
backupstorefix: PASSED
backupstorepatch: FAILED: 1 tests failed (first at :0)
backupdiff: PASSED
bbackupd: FAILED: 1 tests failed (first at :0)
httpserver: FAILED: 2 tests failed (first at testhttpserver.cpp:247)

Can I proceed any further? How can i tell what the problems were? I
did not run the test as root.

Assuming that I can get a working installation I need to configure the
client. In the guide I see

/usr/local/bin/bbackupd-config /etc/box lazy 999 hostname /var/bbackupd /home

I guess will need to use 'sbin' here I guess. I know the user number
of the user I want to use on the server (1001) and I know that
directories I want to backup on the client (my home directory). I'll
need to watch that /etc/box is not removed when updating OS X.

Questions
Can I use a dynamic DNS host name which I know already works with ssh
and the user I will be using on the server?
I want the backed up files on the server to be at
"/tank/backup/<username>" not "/var/bbackupd"; is it okay to add a
different location here, one which the user I will be using has
permission to access?

Any help appreciated,

Stuart