[Box Backup] Weekly comparisons

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 15:06:02 BST 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 02:43:00PM +0200, Achim wrote:
> Hello list:
>
> I have been thinking about daily/weekly/monthly scheduled comparisons,
> as discussed a few times [1, 2].
>
> According to the documentation ("help compare"), the following
> command:
>
> bbackupquery.exe -c bbackupd.conf "compare -a -q -c" quit
>
> returns:
>
> >    If -c is set, then the return code (if quit is the next command) will be
> >        1    Comparison was exact
> >        2    Differences were found
> >        3    An error occured
> >    This can be used for automated tests.
>
> Small request: Would it be possible to change those values to 0, 1 and
> 2 respectively? 0 meaning "All OK" like usual, and the other two values
> would bring this comparison in line with diff's exit code?

I would actually prefer that these codes didn't change. I have a few
automated processes that rely on them, and it's also part of the FreeBSD
periodic script, so potentially there are several FreeBSD users whose
system will be expecting the same. I'm not sure what benefit we would
get by changing it?

> [1]
> <http://lists.warhead.org.uk/pipermail/boxbackup/2006-February/002240.html>

Just for reference, these are the old archives and no longer
authoritative. The new ones are on http://lists.boxbackup.org/.

James