[Box Backup] Weekly comparisons

Achim J. Latz achim+box at qustodium.net
Tue Oct 18 15:16:15 BST 2011

Hello James:

On 18/10/2011 16:06, James O'Gorman wrote:
>> bbackupquery.exe -c bbackupd.conf "compare -a -q -c" quit
 >> [..]
>> Small request: Would it be possible to change those values to 0, 1 and
>> 2 respectively? 0 meaning "All OK" like usual, and the other two values
>> would bring this comparison in line with diff's exit code?
>
> I would actually prefer that these codes didn't change. I have a few
> automated processes that rely on them, and it's also part of the FreeBSD
> periodic script, so potentially there are several FreeBSD users whose
> system will be expecting the same. I'm not sure what benefit we would
> get by changing it?

The only benefit is that the ouput codes would then be in line with the
"regular" diff tools. I understand the issues you raise, and agree that
changing the codes to be "cosmetically" in line with diff does not make
sense in the light of many users relying on the current values.

I retract the request for change (-:

> Just for reference, these are the old archives and no longer
> authoritative. The new ones are on http://lists.boxbackup.org/.

I just used the result on Google, but will try to refer to the new
location in the future (if I remember).

Best regards, Achim

--
Achim J. Latz, Qustodium Internet Security
achim.latz at qustodium.net · http://www.qustodium.net