[Box Backup] Backup Mac OS X to Freebsd

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 21:59:47 BST 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 09:01:02PM +0100, Chris Wilson wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, Stuart Robertson wrote:
> > My first questions are to do with configuring the server. How do I test
> > my installation if I have installed with the Freebsd port? Is it
> > necessary to test the installation?
>
> It may not be possible. I'm not sure whether the author of the freebsd
> port has added extra Makefile targets to let you test the binaries before
> installation. If they have, you might be able to run "make test" in the
> port directory.

*waves hand* - I'm the port maintainer. With the latest round of updates
I created a test target in the port skeleton that runs the release
tests. e.g.:

cd /usr/ports/sysutils/boxbackup
make
make test
make install

If you want to run the debug tests you'll have to do it within the work
directory:

cd work/boxbackup-*
./runtest.pl ALL debug

> The tests should all pass when run as a normal user. Can you send the test
> log files (test*.log) for the tests that failed to me by private email?

Ports are normally built as root, unless hackery has been done to allow
a non-root user to write to /usr/ports (or $WRKSRC has been moved
somewhere else), so unfortunately this will mean that when run from
ports the test suite will normally be run as root.

HTH.

James