[Box Backup] VSS on x64 not working with x86 binaries

Charles Lecklider lists at invis.net
Mon Oct 24 15:42:25 BST 2011

On 24/10/2011 11:38, Achim wrote:
> In addition, there are quite a few warnings generated by compiling for
> an x64 target, I am not sure which ones are important and which ones can
> be ignored. I include the build log below for reference.

There are lots of problems compiling trunk for Windows x64, many of
which can cause data loss. The root cause of almost all of the problems
is that sizeof(int) == sizeof(long) == 4 on both Windows x86 and x64,
but BB assumes that sizeof(long) == 8 (and in places int too) for x64.

I spent a lot of time sorting this out in my branch, and while in some
cases it's still possible to get into trouble with really huge files, in
practical terms it'll never happen as the diffing will take too long for
BB to be useful.

I strongly recommend that you do not use trunk compiled for Windows x64
for anything but testing.

-C