[Box Backup] Failed to open inode database, broken database file

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Mon Oct 24 21:40:10 BST 2011

Hi Achim,

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, Achim wrote:

> Would it be possible to change the "severity" of this first error:
>
> 2011-10-24 11:06:54 [ERROR]   Failed to open inode database:
> c:\bb_conf\bbackupd\mnt_87b124f.n (qdbm): broken database file
> 2011-10-24 11:06:54 [WARNING] Exception thrown:
> BackupStoreException(BerkelyDBFailure) (Failed to open inode database:
> c:\bb_conf\bbackupd\mnt_87b124f.n (qdbm): broken database file) at
> ..\..\..\bin\bbackupd\BackupClientInodeToIDMap.cpp(120)
>
> from "ERROR" to "WARNING"? Since the file is not critical and will be
> re-created automatically, perhaps we should not upset the user about this?
>
> I have added an exception for that particular "error" in my automatic logfile
> parsing, but I also think that semantically, this is not an error and should
> only generate a warning.

It is possible, but loss of the inode database is not inconsequential, and
I'd prefer to figure out why it's being corrupted and fix it.

The only case that I know of it when bbackupd is aborted by pressing
Ctrl+C or killing it. Otherwise the database should be closed properly.
Can you reproduce this problem any other way, and if so, could you send me
a log created using LogFile?