[Box Backup] NTFS junction/reparse point

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Mon Oct 24 21:42:22 BST 2011

Hi Achim,

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, Achim wrote:

> I just saw this message for the first time (probably haven't been paying
> attention to it):
>
> 2011-10-24 11:07:12 [WARNING] Ignored directory: C:\Documents and Settings:
> is an NTFS junction/reparse point; create a new location if you want to back
> it up
>
> Is this a side-effect of using VSS on Windows? Is this not potentially a
> rather big issue, as people might configure their location as "C:\" (whole
> drive) only to find out at some point (perhaps during restore) that the
> personal settings in "C:\Documents and Settings" have been left out?
>
> Is the idea really to add a new location for every NTFS junction/reparse
> point, such as Music, Downloads, ...? Or is this a limitation of using VSS?

On recent Windows versions that have C:\Users, C:\Documents and
Settings is just a reparse point that points to that folder, for backwards
compatibility. C:\Users should be backed up normally, although some
folders in user home directories are also reparse points for the same
reason. Do you see it in your backups?

If we backed up C:\Documents and Settings as well as C:\Users, I think
you'd have two copies of the same data.