[Box Backup] Failed to open inode database, broken database file

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Wed Oct 26 00:22:21 BST 2011

Hi Achim,

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011, Achim J. Latz wrote:
> On 24/10/2011 22:40, Chris Wilson wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, Achim wrote:
>>> [..]
>>> Since the file is not critical and will be
>>> re-created automatically, perhaps we should not upset the user about
>>> this?
>>>
>> It is possible, but loss of the inode database is not inconsequential,
>> and I'd prefer to figure out why it's being corrupted and fix it.
>>
>> The only case that I know of it when bbackupd is aborted by pressing
>> Ctrl+C or killing it. Otherwise the database should be closed properly.
>> Can you reproduce this problem any other way, and if so, could you send
>> me a log created using LogFile?
>
> This indeed happens when CTRL+C is pressed, but I have also seen it with
> clients that experienced power loss or other abrupt system power down (I
> believe): basically, every few weeks this happens on remote systems that I
> don't control, and the users get nervous about the error message.

I found out that this error could happen anytime a backup didn't finish
successfully. I think I've fixed it, so if you update and build new
binaries, you shouldn't see it again unless something is badly wrong.

I also fixed some VSS path translations in log messages about uploading
files and patches.