[Box Backup] Disable encryption

sm8ps-boxbackup1 at yahoo.com sm8ps-boxbackup1 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 8 17:20:23 BST 2011

Hi Mathias, dear all,

I do not mean to be running a commercial for not using Boxbackup here, but just to show the one most comparable alternative that I am using as well. I have the same set-up as you described (LAN only, encrypted storage) and I am using BackupPC there. It is not on the list pointed at by Leif but IMHO should be included as it shares many similarities with Boxbackup but differs completely in the way it stores its backups (namely unencrypted). Basically it is just another wrapper around rsync (which is included in the list) but a very clever one for that. It also automatically (more precisely: periodically) pulls backups from data that has changed. Furthermore it pools data in its storage not only vertically (using hard links in the time line) but also horizontally, i.e. identical files in the whole pool of backups are only stored once and are replaced by hard links for the each backup client. The rsync connection may be encrypted by SSL. Plus it has
 an exceptionally nice web-interface which makes it very easy use to use also for non-technical users. It also runs on the ARM platform Leif ported Boxbackup to (cheers Leif!).

I do have Boxbackup running in parallel with BackupPC on my home server for redundancy and it does perform really well. The only problem I had were international character sets (for umlauts etc.) but the people on this list have been very helpful in providing some work-arounds (cf. Vol. 7 Issue 2 & 5).

I still am hoping to eventually lay my hands on Leif's port of Boxbackup to run off-site backups on a low-spec NAS device. (This is one of my long-term projects which is constantly getting pushed off by all those short-term necessities, Life 1.0 included :)

Just my 0.02 CHF. Cheers!