[Box Backup] Disable encryption

Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services pjalajas at gigalock.com
Thu Sep 8 22:39:47 BST 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Leif Linderstam <ell2 at live.se> wrote:

>> ... It also runs on the ARM platform Leif
>> ported Boxbackup to (cheers Leif!).
>
> Hi Stefan, and everybody else on the list!
>
> BackupPC was one of the alternatives I looked at (didn't remember the
> name though), but I really wanted the encryption as the backup box is
> in a remote location so the choice fell on BoxBackup.
>
> It works quite well I believe. I have had it running on a small,
> hackable NAS (the DNS-323) since March I think, and since end of June
> it has been at a friend's house. It sets up a VPN tunnel back to my
> server and waits for the backups to drop in.
>
> I am even backing up some really large files of more than 1GB, but I
> am not entirely trusting BoxBackup to manage that (if the line drops
> during the transfer of a file the current version of BoxBackup
> restarts from the beginning of the file at next attempt). So I have
> a script that chops up the large files into 50MB chunks.
<snip>

I've been meaning to ask about such a feature or option for BoxBackup,
that is, have BoxBackup just automatically split large files into more
manageable chunks (I was thinking something like 100MB or 250MB).  I
was thinking that that feature would help with several things, such as
dropped network connections; OS, network, or other filesize
limitations; connection timeouts; and it might also give
QoS/throttling tools logical pauses into which to insert a little
sleep or wait, etc.  If the chunks were small enough, then maybe that
would help with any future block-sharing space-saving algorithms.

But alas, coding all that would likely be much harder than my simple
mind would have predicted.

(FWIW, for a client's Microsoft Exchange Server database, which I have
Excluded from BoxBackup, I have a MS Scheduled Task that uses 7zip to
break up the big database into 600MB chunks that are Included for
BoxBackup.)

Thanks,
Pete