[Box Backup] Disable encryption

Achim J. Latz achim+box at qustodium.net
Fri Sep 9 15:18:16 BST 2011

Hello Pete:

On 08/09/2011 23:39, Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services wrote:
> I've been meaning to ask about such a feature or option for BoxBackup,
> that is, have BoxBackup just automatically split large files into more
> manageable chunks (I was thinking something like 100MB or 250MB).  I
> was thinking that that feature would help with several things, such as
> dropped network connections; OS, network, or other filesize
> limitations; connection timeouts; and it might also give
> QoS/throttling tools logical pauses into which to insert a little
> sleep or wait, etc.  If the chunks were small enough, then maybe that
> would help with any future block-sharing space-saving algorithms.

This is one of the few (IMHO) missing features that BB still needs for
prime time:

1/ Bandwidth throttling: now done thanks to Chris, fantastic!

2/ Built-in VSS: Chris is also working on that as we speak. I will try
the latest vss-preview build in a few minutes on Windows 7.

3/ Restore folder dates: "Nice to have"

4/ Improved Boxi UI: I am working on that, particularly the i18n.

5/ Resumable transfers for bigger files: like throttling, this is needed
for DSL, otherwise uploading a really big file (think PST, MP4, ...)
might never finish: if the DSL line is cut, the sync starts over and
over again at the beginning of BIGFILE.

6/ Fix 2GB limitation: Does Charles' changeset address this, as stated
in his commit log? <http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/changeset/2799/box> I
still need to try this out.

7/ Snapshots ("restore important_contract.doc from 10 June 2008"): Seems
impossible with the current algorithm: As suggested before, I would have
no problems giving up backwards compatibility for that functionality.
Default behaviour could be "as is", and sysadmins could switch on snapshots

Best regards, Achim

--
Achim J. Latz, Qustodium Internet Security
achim.latz at qustodium.net · http://www.qustodium.net