[Box Backup] Windows 7 special folder access

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Fri Sep 30 21:19:51 BST 2011

Hi Achim,

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011, Achim J. Latz wrote:
> On 30/09/2011 01:01, Chris Wilson wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011, Achim J. Latz wrote:
>>
>>> Any idea what could be the cause for this behaviour?
>>
>> It might well be junction points. Apparently Windows 7 uses these to
>> make the new folder locations "appear" in the old positions for
>> backwards compatibility. I did add a specific check for these as part
>> of the VSS work, but this hasn't made it into an officially released
>> client yet, so you might like to try the latest VSS build to see if
>> that works better for you. If not, I'll try to debug it.
>
> I sent you two PM on 9 and 14 September with the debug info for the
> latest VSS preview (R2993). Did you have a chance to look at that?

Thanks for reminding me. I did spend several hours trying to make sense of
the crash conditions. However I did not succeed. It appears that a
variable is NULL that has no business being NULL in that situation. I
simply cannot work out how that could have happened.

Do you have any way to reproduce the situation in a way that I can have
access to, for example supervised remote access to a machine where I can
install Visual Studio using VNC, or can you reproduce it on a relatively
clean virtual machine?

\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig at qwirx.com> Cambs UK |