[Box Backup] check fix taking long time

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Wed Aug 29 16:44:03 BST 2012

Hi Dave,

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012, dave bamford wrote:

> Hi Chris
>
> Housekeeping did not seem to run on this account, which is why I was
> running a check.
>
> The nfs option I use are
> rw,sync,fsid=0,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check
>
> Will try changing it to async

Yes, that's likely to make a reasonably big difference. If not, and you
want to improve the performance of bbstoreaccounts over NFS, you could run
it under "strace -tt -s 128" and with -V, and send me an extract of the
results.

> Also try running housekeeping manually and report back with results.
>
> Will there be any implications running check fix on the NFS machine, and
> could I run housekeeping there too?

You can run check fix or manual housekeeping on the NFS machine, provided
that the client does not log in. I hope that account locking would work
over NFS, but cannot be sure. You could check by running "check fix" on
the NFS server and then running "check" on the bbstored server as well;
the second should abort due to failure to get a write lock, which means
you are safe.

Be sure that the bbstored account has the same UID on the NFS server as on
the bbstored server, or else that you use UID mapping over NFS or change
the owner of all the files back after running bbstoreaccounts.

\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig at qwirx.com> Cambs UK |