[Box Backup] Project status

Larry Wimble larry at geekmax.org
Fri Dec 7 21:04:42 GMT 2012

I'd like to chime in on this one.

BoxBackup is the only backup system that meets all of my requirements.
I run it currently on 6 hosts, and am about to expand that to 8 or 9.

About three weeks ago, I fat-fingered a cpio command on of my hosts and
deleted some rather important files.  In the very first "real need" test
of BoxBackup, it came through with great fanfare on my part when I was
able to restore the files to their original locations in seconds.  THANK
YOU Chris Wilson and all others who have worked on this project.

That said...... There is still issue #62 in the ticketing system which
causes me a little heartburn when I manually have to run housekeeping.
It's not that I'm bothered by having to manually run housekeeping (in
fact, it's probably good that I have to "mind the store" once in a
while), it's that there's a brief time where an unknown deletion of
files could have taken place recently on a host, and by running
housekeeping, I would be destroying the only known backup.  If there's
any issue I'd like to see resolved, it's that one.  Maybe one day soon
I'll find some time to help with it.

Despite this issue, BoxBackup is still by far the best backup system
around.  I wouldn't hesitate to use it and highly recommend it.

Kind Regards,
Larry Wimble

--
Larry Wimble
larry at geekmax.org

It never ceases to amaze me how people form opinions so easily, yet
angrily refuse to let go of them even in the face of overwhelming
factual evidence to the contrary.