[Box Backup] VSS on x64 not working with x86 binaries

Achim J. Latz achim+box at qustodium.net
Sat Feb 11 15:31:11 GMT 2012

Hello Charles (repost from an older message):

On 24/10/2011 16:42, Charles Lecklider wrote:
> On 24/10/2011 11:38, Achim wrote:
>> In addition, there are quite a few warnings generated by compiling for
>> an x64 target, I am not sure which ones are important and which ones can
>> be ignored. I include the build log below for reference.
>
> There are lots of problems compiling trunk for Windows x64, many of
> which can cause data loss. The root cause of almost all of the problems
> is that sizeof(int) == sizeof(long) == 4 on both Windows x86 and x64,
> but BB assumes that sizeof(long) == 8 (and in places int too) for x64.
>
> I spent a lot of time sorting this out in my branch, and while in some
> cases it's still possible to get into trouble with really huge files, in
> practical terms it'll never happen as the diffing will take too long for
> BB to be useful.
>
> I strongly recommend that you do not use trunk compiled for Windows x64
> for anything but testing.

Any chance to merge your branch and trunk to get the "best of both
worlds", i.e. VSS, 4GB patch, and at least a basic level of 64bit
compatibility?

Or is there anything I (as a non-pro programmer) can do to identify the
issues that BB-on-x64 could cause? As you mention:

 > The root cause of almost all of the problems
 > is that sizeof(int) == sizeof(long) == 4 on both Windows x86 and x64,
 > but BB assumes that sizeof(long) == 8 (and in places int too) for x64.

As x64 systems (and soon WOA, Windows-on-Arm) seem to become the norm in
that universe, perhaps we should future-proof BB now?

Best regards, Achim

--
Achim J. Latz, Qustodium Internet Security
achim.latz at qustodium.net · http://www.qustodium.net