[Box Backup] Permission problem with BackupLocation on other Windows Server box

Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services pjalajas at gigalock.com
Wed Jan 18 01:45:01 GMT 2012

Hi all,

My small ~3-user client office had BoxBackup running on their old
Windows XP "server" (sorry, not sure of BoxBackup version at the
moment, but likely 2520; Feature Request:  display Client Version
Number in Server Logs).  They recently installed a new "real" Windows
Server (not sure which one; Computer Properties just said "Windows
Server", not 2003/2008/2011), which is used as a simple wide-open file
server, not a Windows domain; any user can add/edit/delete files in
any folder under the shares.   I tried to repoint the BackupLocations
on the old-server BoxBackup instance to the new-server shares, but
that threw "not found" errors when using Path letter drives (like Path
= T:\directory), and permission errors when I used UNC (like Path =
\\NewServer\Share\directory).  When I ran "bbackupd -v" on the command
line on the old sever, it seemed to work fine, but frankly I'm not
sure.   I ended up just installing version 3005M from:
http://www.boxbackup.org/browser/box/chris/win32/releases?order=date&desc=1
onto the _new_ server and that seems to be working fine (now I need to
work with the client to configure the new server BoxBackup instance to
pull from any that shares may still be residing on the old "server").

So, I think I'm OK for now, but for the record, are there any
suggestions out there on how to configure the Windows Users and
Permissions between 2 boxes such as these? Weird how any normal user
across the network can change files, but the BoxBackup service can't
even read them?

Thanks!
Pete