[Box Backup] Setup windows client

Enrique Perez-Terron enrio at online.no
Thu Jan 19 07:52:44 GMT 2012

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 22:21:26 +0100, Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com> wrote:

[...]
> If it says Cygwin then you might be running an ancient or unsupported
> version. What version are you using and where did you get it from>

http://www.boxbackup.org/browser/box/chris/win32/releases/boxbackup-trunk_2520-backup-client-mingw32.zip

It's the one linked from
http://www.boxbackup.org/wiki/WindowsClientReleases as the most recent
(2009-04-26).

In view of that date, I now suspect that quite a lot has happened to the
sources since. Maybe I should compile the sources myself?

[...]
> It has a built-in service mode and command-line options to install and
> remove the service:
>
> http://www.boxbackup.org/wiki/CompilationOnWindows#WindowsService

Ah, thanks. I realize that I have not read the web pages carefully enough.
But that gets easier as I get to know them and the project.

[...]
> I think it's easier to customise the configuration file from
> http://www.boxbackup.org/browser/box/trunk/bin/bbackupd/win32/bbackupd.conf
> instead of the standard Unix one.

Ah again. The precompiled zip contains a file that is very similar to the
one you point to.
I will diff mine with that one.

[...]
> Can you help us to write that script? VBS might be a good language to
> write it in, with access to with Windows API for dialog boxes. There's
> also a Windows installer that can be built using InstallJammer, for
> which you can find the configuration files here:
>
> http://www.boxbackup.org/browser/box/trunk/contrib/windows/installer

I will look into it. But I am quite constrained for time, so don't expect
to much progress for now.

Regards
Enrique

(PS: Just in case, I sent the first post using the wrong mail account. I
am subscribed with this one.)