[Box Backup] Setup windows client

Enrique Perez-Terron enrio at online.no
Thu Jan 19 23:26:54 GMT 2012

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 22:44:30 +0100, Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com> wrote:

> What version of Windows are you running? Vista and above does funny
> things with folder redirection on C:\Program Files. If you put files
> there as a normal user, it silently redirects them to somewhere in your
> user profile, and you have to use that as the path in bbackupd.conf
> because the redirection doesn't operate for system users like
> LocalSystem.
>
> Cheers, Chris.

Interesting.

However, this is XP Home edition. I don't think it plays games with
"Program Files", particularly because the %ProgramFiles% path is
"C:\Programfiler" in the Norwegian language edition of XP.  Nevertheless I
shall try to test the theory. Hm , perhaps I could use "srvany" to run a
bat file to test the presence and readability of the pem file... Any
better idea?

[ I just tried, and had a service running as local system, run a cmd
window, in which I ran C:\cygwin\bin\wc.exe "/c/Program Files/Box
Backup/serverCA.pem" (where /c is a symlink to /cygdrive/c). ]

In Windows 7 it appears that the national names of system paths are links
(junctions points?) to the English names (while the English names are
hidden, but appear in Cygwin).

On this XP computer, the directories are different with different
contents. A small number of applications have installed themselves into
Program Files.

I wonder if there could be a permissions issue. What would then be the
error message in the event log?

These error numbers in the error messages, what do they correspond to,
where can one look them up?

The "fopen: Input/output error" part of the error message, where does it
come from? If the real problem were a permission issue, what would the
error message be?

Regards,
Enrique