[Box Backup] Permission problem with BackupLocation on other Windows Server box

Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services pjalajas at gigalock.com
Sat Jan 21 17:14:04 GMT 2012

Hi Chris,

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com> wrote:
> Hi Pete,
>

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services wrote:
>
>> My small ~3-user client office had BoxBackup running on their old
>> Windows XP "server" (sorry, not sure of BoxBackup version at the
>> moment, but likely 2520; Feature Request:  display Client Version
>> Number in Server Logs).
>

> Could you add that to the Feature Requests page please? I'm afraid it's not
> trivial because it requires changing the client-server protocol.

Done, thanks.
https://www.boxbackup.org/wiki/FeatureRequests#ClienttoServerLogging

>> They recently installed a new "real" Windows Server (not sure which one;
>> Computer Properties just said "Windows Server", not 2003/2008/2011), which
>> is used as a simple wide-open file server, not a Windows domain; any user
>> can add/edit/delete files in any folder under the shares.  I tried to
>> repoint the BackupLocations on the old-server BoxBackup instance to the
>> new-server shares, but that threw "not found" errors when using Path letter
>> drives (like Path = T:\directory), and permission errors when I used UNC
>> (like Path = \\NewServer\Share\directory).
>

> It would be interesting to know what the exact error messages are/were.

I'll be back at their office next Friday.  I'll report back then.

>> When I ran "bbackupd -v" on the command line on the old sever, it seemed
>> to work fine, but frankly I'm not sure.
>
> Did you install bbackupd on the old Windows server and the new Windows
> server?

I disabled the old version on the old Windows (XP) machine, and
installed the new version on the new Windows ("Server") machine.
(They are not both connecting to the BoxBackup server at the same
time.)

> Could I check that I understood correctly:
>
> bbstored <- Desktop (bbackupd) -> Old server: works fine
>
> bbstored <- Desktop (bbackupd) -> New server: not found/permission errors

Correct.  (And so I installed 3005M bbackupd on "New server", and will
somehow reach back to pick up files on "Old server".)

> I have seen problems with more recent versions of Windows that bbackupd.exe
> could not access its own configuration files in C:\Program Files, and I had
> to install it in C:\Users instead.
>

>> So, I think I'm OK for now, but for the record, are there any suggestions
>> out there on how to configure the Windows Users and Permissions between 2
>> boxes such as these? Weird how any normal user across the network can change
>> files, but the BoxBackup service can't even read them?
>

> I don't have many suggestions, but you could check that the share that
> you're backing up is mapped permanently (reconnect at logon?) and that the
> user account that the Box Backup service uses (LocalSystem?) has access to
> the network share. You could also try making the Box Backup service run as a
> normal user account instead of LocalSystem.

OK, good, thanks, that's the kind of tip I was looking for.  I'll try
that next week.

Thanks again, Chris,
Pete