[Box Backup] Upload decision: [file] will not upload, mod time is outside sync window

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Sun Nov 11 20:31:56 GMT 2012

Hi Olivier,

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012, Olivier Croquette wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
>
>>> So far, it looks pretty good, the upload is finished, and I am about
>>> to test the restore, but I am wondering about this kind of messages in
>>> the log file: Upload decision: [file] will not upload (mod time is
>>> 1263678366000000 which is outside sync window, 1352615762644431 to
>>> 1383377779593262)
[...]
> But then what's the difference with the following kind of message ?
> Upload decision: [file2]: will not upload (not modified since last upload)
>
> file2 was also not modified in the time window.
>
> I expected this message for all my files, but I have a mixture of both messages.

The difference is complicated to explain because the code includes logic
to optimise bandwidth use by not downloading a directory listing from the
server if the directory does not appear to have changed since the last
run; and this changes how a file is determined to have changed. I report
different messages in these two cases only to help with debugging.

"not modified since last upload" means that:

* the directory has changed locally since we last uploaded it;
* so we did download the directory listing from the server;
* the file is already on the server;
* the modification time of the file has not changed.

"outside sync window" basically means that we deduced that the file hasn't
changed without asking the server.

I recommend that you ignore the difference, compare your backups
regularly, and if you're missing any files then report the problem and we
can understand what happened by looking at the logs.