[Box Backup] Monitor uploaded files

Olivier Croquette ml at ocroquette.de
Tue Nov 27 10:31:12 GMT 2012

On Nov 27, 2012, at 11:00 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:

>>> You can log output to a file instead of syslog (-O option I think). You can process that logfile in the NotifyScript to extract whatever lines you want and do whatever you want with them.
>>
>> Thanks ! However, there is no such option for bbackupd, only for bbackupquery. For bbackupd, I don't think there is anything. It should a setting in the configuration file (syslog yes/no and/or which log file).
>
> Sorry, try the LogFile and LogFileLevel settings in bbackupd.conf.

Oups, I knew these options, of course, sorry !

However, there are 2 limitations:

1) I don't want to store the whole TRACE log, because it's really huge, and I don't need it.

That's why I use something like:
bbackupd -c "$BASEDIR/etc/bbackupd.conf" -D -k -V 2>&1 \
  | "$BASEDIR/logfilter" >> "$LOGFILE" &

The perl script filters lines I am interested in : /(\s(INFO|NOTICE):|TRACE:.*will upload)/;

2) Independently of these settings, it looks to me as if the info is sent to syslog anyway, leading to a higher CPU load and such messages:
Nov 27 11:28:43: --- last message repeated 2 times ---
Nov 27 11:28:43 mbp2011 bbackupd[1829]: *** process 1829 exceeded 500 log message per second limit  -  remaining messages this second discarded ***

Best regards

Olivier