[Box Backup] Monitor uploaded files

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Tue Nov 27 11:23:00 GMT 2012

Hi Olivier,

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, Olivier Croquette wrote:

> Oups, I knew these options, of course, sorry !
>
> However, there are 2 limitations:
>
> 1) I don't want to store the whole TRACE log, because it's really huge, and I don't need it.
>
> That's why I use something like:
> bbackupd -c "$BASEDIR/etc/bbackupd.conf" -D -k -V 2>&1 \
>  | "$BASEDIR/logfilter" >> "$LOGFILE" &
>
> The perl script filters lines I am interested in : /(\s(INFO|NOTICE):|TRACE:.*will upload)/;
>
> 2) Independently of these settings, it looks to me as if the info is sent to syslog anyway, leading to a higher CPU load and such messages:
> Nov 27 11:28:43: --- last message repeated 2 times ---
> Nov 27 11:28:43 mbp2011 bbackupd[1829]: *** process 1829 exceeded 500 log message per second limit  -  remaining messages this second discarded ***

Yes, that will happen if you run with -V. I'm considering adding an option
to control console verbosity independently of syslog, but I DO NOT
recommend doing what you are doing above. If your logfilter script dies,
bbackupd will too.

I recommend that you write to a file, and use a backup-finish script to
post-process the logfile, write whatever you want to keep to whatever
logs, and delete the logfile. And don't run with -D -k -V in production.

If you reall must run with -V, then I recommend you configure your syslogd
to route debug messages from bbackupd to nowhere. That should take very
little CPU time.

Another option is that I could add logging support to the command socket.
Then you could write your own client to connect to that socket and collect
the log messages that you're interested in.

\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig at qwirx.com> Cambs UK |