[Box Backup] Disturbing bug

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Thu Nov 29 20:17:59 GMT 2012

Hi Jan,

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, Jan Haastrecht wrote:

> The following line in BUGS.txt in SVN seems rather disturbing: "if a
> file changes while it's being streamed to the server, bad things will
> happen"
>
> Perhaps it's just an old line, perhaps not. If it's still a current bug,
> can you fix it? If it's not, can you update the file?
>
> Either way, it gives a bad impression.

I'm not sure how possible it is to fix this without snapshot support in
the underlying OS/filesystem/storage, integrated with Box Backup, which we
don't currently have except on Windows using VSS (unsupported).

If you have that infrastructure (e.g. LVM, BSD snapshots) then the best
way to work around it is to take a snapshot before backup and back up the
snapshot instead of the live data.

\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig at qwirx.com> Cambs UK |