[Box Backup] Disturbing bug

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Thu Nov 29 20:46:46 GMT 2012

Hi Jan,

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, Jan Haastrecht wrote:
> Chris Wilson schreef:
>>
>>> The following line in BUGS.txt in SVN seems rather disturbing: "if a file
>>> changes while it's being streamed to the server, bad things will happen"
>>
>> I'm not sure how possible it is to fix this without snapshot support in the
>> underlying OS/filesystem/storage, integrated with Box Backup, which we
>> don't currently have except on Windows using VSS (unsupported).
>
> How about
> http://kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/mandatory-locking.txt ?

It's an option, but I'm reluctant to do anything that might lock people
out of their files while they're being backed up. On Windows this has been
a major issue which has forced people to use VSS even though it's non-free
and non-redistributable at the moment.

Another option is that we could checksum the entire file on both sides
after upload and discard the update if they don't match. That's what
rdiff-backup does.