[Box Backup] Documentation error?

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Thu Nov 29 20:52:15 GMT 2012

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, Jan Haastrecht wrote:

> The documentation states:
> ExcludeFilesRegex = *.(mp3|MP3)\$
>
> Shouldn't this be
> ExcludeFilesRegex = *\.(mp3|MP3)\$
>
> The dot means any character, not match the '.' character.

It's also invalid to start with an asterisk. Where did you find this?

> Why are you referring to man 7 re_format when in fact you probably bind
> to some library?

I think we use the system regex library (glibc) on most platforms, and
PCRE on Windows. So re_format(7) is appropriate for all platforms except
Windows.

> You should point at the documentation for that library or failing that some
> reference to POSIX directly (it's available online).

Good idea.

> I didn't check the source to see what you are doing exactly, but making
> the backup syntax operating system dependent seems like an unwise path
> to take.

We aim to minimise dependencies, and all software is platform dependent to
some extent.