[Box Backup] Memory usage house keeping through the roof

Jan Haastrecht jan.haastrecht at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 14:09:15 GMT 2013

Hi,

The house keeping process uses over 100MB of memory here for a 280GB store of
maximum capacity 800GB with a lot of free space left. How can the memory usage
be predicted given some variables (like number of files deleted, size of store,
and others)? This should have been a core design consideration and it surprises
me that I cannot find a formula for it anywhere.  Currently, the housekeeping
process (why is it even running when there is a lot of space still free?) is
stopping me from using boxbackup. Can you do anything about the memory usage?

The way I would like to see it working would be a concurrently running
housekeeping process (not in a separate address space) where the maximum memory
usage would configurable at build time or at program start. For example the
maximum would be around 10MB and anything else that would be needed would we
written in 10MB batches to external storage (as configured in some configuration
variable ExternalStorage=/mnt/boxbackup-var/run).

Jan