[Box Backup] Using already deployed SSL certificates.

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Sat Jun 1 16:36:45 BST 2013

Hi Anton,

On Fri, 31 May 2013, Anton Avramov wrote:

> I have a lot of servers with already deployed 3-years certificates issued by startssl.com used by the webserver in place. I've already
> backed up the private keys securely.
> Is it possible to use the existing certificate/key pair on the machine?

Yes, it is possible, but not really documented, so you'll have to do quite
a bit of figuring out yourself.

> If so what would happen when the certificate is renewed?

The issue is with renewal of the CA certificates, because I think Box
Backup can only trust one at a time. It will trust all clients or servers
whose certificates are signed with the client or server CA key.

> Is my logic correct to assume I'll then also need to backup
> -FileEncKeys.raw securely in order to be able to restore?

Yes, this is the only file that you need to back up in order to recover
your data. Certificates can be regenerated, but this key cannot.

\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig at qwirx.com> Cambs UK |