[Box Backup] EVP_DecryptFinal errors

David H Kaufman kaufman-box at kaufmanfamily.net
Fri Jan 24 11:10:55 GMT 2014

A boxbackup client (0.11.1 on Gentoo, talking to a 0.11.1 Fedora 16
server) of mine was consistently failing with log messages like:

ERROR: SSL error while reading: error:06065064:digital envelope
routines:EVP_DecryptFinal_ex:bad decrypt

I ran bbackupd -D -W everything to get a fix on where the problem might
be, then added an ExcludeDir to keep that directory out of the backup
stream.

Investigating this problem, it appears that the boxbackup devs have
tracked it down, and have a fix in trunk:

http://lists.boxbackup.org/pipermail/boxbackup/2012-April/006361.html
and the rest of the thread

I'm not sure I want to be running trunk for my backup system though
(especially since the ripple effect will extend to a number of other
systems, some of which are not under my direct control). Is there any
plan for a new release of boxbackup, even a patch update to 0.11.1?

Thanks,
David Kaufman