[Box Backup] EVP_DecryptFinal errors

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Fri Jan 24 13:12:46 GMT 2014

Hi David,

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014, David H Kaufman wrote:

> A boxbackup client (0.11.1 on Gentoo, talking to a 0.11.1 Fedora 16 server)
> of mine was consistently failing with log messages like:
>
> ERROR: SSL error while reading: error:06065064:digital envelope
> routines:EVP_DecryptFinal_ex:bad decrypt
>
> I ran bbackupd -D -W everything to get a fix on where the problem might be,
> then added an ExcludeDir to keep that directory out of the backup stream.
>
> Investigating this problem, it appears that the boxbackup devs have tracked
> it down, and have a fix in trunk:
>
> http://lists.boxbackup.org/pipermail/boxbackup/2012-April/006361.html and the
> rest of the thread

Thanks for taking the trouble to find the thread! I would have forgotten
all about it.

> I'm not sure I want to be running trunk for my backup system though
> (especially since the ripple effect will extend to a number of other
> systems, some of which are not under my direct control). Is there any
> plan for a new release of boxbackup, even a patch update to 0.11.1?

I intend to make a new release shortly. Platform testing is always the
difficult part. But the new release would be cut from trunk anyway, so
you'd be no worse off using trunk than using it when it appears, and you
won't have to wait for me to finish platform testing and compatibility
fixes, which is always slow and painful.

\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig at qwirx.com> Cambs UK |