[Box Backup] Strange eventlog message (win32 client)

Enrique Perez-Terron enrio at online.no
Thu May 7 16:35:32 BST 2015

Hello,

After having let an installation bit rot for a while, I am trying to
resuscitate it, and now I am seeing an error in the event log on the
Windows 7 client:

   Failed to create the registry key: Operasjonen er fullført(0)

where the nationalized (Norwegian) part translates approximately as "the
operation has completed".

I tend to think that this must be a translation of the message
corresponding to the ERROR_SUCCESS code. I also suspect that the zero in
parenthesis is the numerical code.

The server side is running the current Ubuntu
boxbackup-server-0.11.1~r2837-1
Looking at the source corresponding to this package, I find this snippet
in lib/win32/emu.cpp:1246

         if (RegCreateKeyEx(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, regkey.c_str(),
                          0, NULL, REG_OPTION_NON_VOLATILE,
                          KEY_WRITE, NULL, &hk, &dwDisp))
         {
                 ::syslog(LOG_ERR, "Failed to create the registry key: %s",
                         GetErrorMessage(GetLastError()).c_str());
                 return FALSE;
         }

My question: Was the code in build M3005 any different? The behavior looks
so strange.

My windows install is an unpacking of
    boxbackup-trunk_3005M-backup-client-mingw32
into the directory
    C:\Program Files\Box Backup\
with only the most obvious changes to bbackupd.conf:
$ diff bbackupd.conf '/c/Program Files/Box Backup/bbackupd.conf'
2,4c2,4
< StoreHostname = yourhost
< AccountNumber = 0x1
< KeysFile = C:\Program Files\Box Backup\1-FileEncKeys.raw
---
> StoreHostname = jerv
> AccountNumber = 0x70286361
> KeysFile = C:\Program Files\Box Backup\70286361-FileEncKeys.raw
6,7c6,7
< CertificateFile = C:\Program Files\Box Backup\1-cert.pem
< PrivateKeyFile = C:\Program Files\Box Backup\1-key.pem
---
> CertificateFile = C:\Program Files\Box Backup\70286361-cert.pem
> PrivateKeyFile = C:\Program Files\Box Backup\70286361-key.pem

and similar changes to
    NotifySysadmin.vbs,
and the addition of the following files:
    ./70286361-cert.pem
    ./70286361-FileEncKeys.raw
    ./70286361-key.pem
    ./bbackupd/bbackupd.pid
    ./bbackupd/last_sync_finish
    ./bbackupd/last_sync_start
    ./bbackupd/mnt_62cf6f81.n
    ./serverCA.pem
(where the files in the bbackupd directory have been created by the
program).

Regards,
Enrique