[Box Backup] Proposal: Merge pull requests automatically

orzel at freehackers.org orzel at freehackers.org
Tue Sep 1 10:46:33 BST 2015

On 31/08/2015 23:13, Chris Wilson wrote:
> So what do you think, is it a good idea?

Hi all,

I don't want to seem overly pessimistic, but the fact that there's
almost no resources devoted to the project makes me fear about this
automatic merging stuff.

No resource makes it so that patches will never been checked, whether
before or after. Automatic merging wont solve the problem of lacking
resources, and probably makes it even worse, as unchecked stuff will be
mainlined un remain so even if breaking things.

I haven't read/heard Peter's talk about community, but beware of
beautiful words. All companies get it wrong thinking that a mailing
list, a wiki and github will be enough to create a community. In my
point of view, the real, main, big point to get a viable community is
leadership. Technical facilities come second. Leadership means that
someone with enough (codebase) knowledge and (pair) recognition is ready
to take important decisions and most importantly to devote (lot of) time
to the project. Yes, it also encompasses being able to deal nicely with
people and to resolve possible conflicts in the community, but this is
imho less important that recognition and time.

In this very particular case, trusting everybody based on test passing
makes me wonder how reliable/complete those tests are... You're about to
put a lot of trust not only in people, but also in those tests.

As a community member, i can tell you that my very top reason of
worrying is the total lack of releases. No new feature is ok, but no
maintenance is really frightening.

best regards,
--
Thomas Capricelli <orzel at freehackers.org>