[Box Backup] Boxbackup 0.13 leaving bbackupd-errors and bbackupquery.memleaks files

sm8ps sm8ps-boxbackup1 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 11 11:11:16 GMT 2018

Hi all

In the course of a general upgrade to my servers I reinstalled Boxbackup
server on Raspbian and the client on Ubuntu 18.04. I noticed the same
bug about broken certificate generation as Wolfgang Trexler in August. I
by-passed it by using the Debian package
boxbackup-server_~~git20180313.g16a11e86-1_amd64.deb.

Prior to that I had been using Boxbackup trunk_2859M for
armel-architecture as compiled by Leif Lindestam in 2011 for a low-spec
D-Link DNS-323 NAS. I believe that was version 0.10, maybe 0.11. This
was running in a remote location without any issues for more than seven
years and I could pull out any backups I needed during that time. I had
it backup about 550 GB over ADSL and it served me very well. -- So
congratulations to the developers for an incredibly efficient and
reliable product!

Now I wanted to do the same in a more modern (read: safer) version
having the Raspberry Pi handle the connection and doing the calculations
and the NAS providing storage via NFS. This seemed to work pretty well
in the beginning but eventually I noticed files
'bbackup-errors-<DATE>.log' as well as empty files
'bbackupquery.memleaks'. Presumably they were written to my current
working directory (four different locations in the file system) but I
could not really make out any system behind that.

The error files contained a disturbing 300k+ lines reading something
like "WARNING: Block 0x55d24f2cfac0 freed, but not known. Error? Or
allocated in startup static allocation?". After that I tore down the
Boxbackup server until recently when I decided to give it another try.
After all it is such had been such a valuable piece of software for my
general set-up!

Have others experienced the same kind of behavior with error files on
the client? Unfortunately, the server installation is not available
anymore and before setting up a new one I would like to know more about
the status of the current version.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and a very big THANK YOU to
the developers of Boxbackup!

Cheers!
Stefan Mueller